Sunday, November 30, 2008

Know what you know. Know what you don't know.

What have I learned?
I need to get up close and personal with technology. I should not be afraid of it..nor should I surround myself by people who are hesitant in venturing out into the unknown and unfamiliar. Technology is all around me and as an educational leader I should know how and when to use it to make my job, my life, and my (and our) educational experiences (i.e. life) better. As a person who will earn three additional letters after her name, I recognize how important it is to push myself and those around me to think past the comfort of what we think we know. Isn't research about RE-searching topics and ideas from new lenses and perspectives? Isn't that we are charged to do as educational leaders?

Two is better than one. Well, when it comes to working on projects or assignments bigger than life itself. If anything, we should not be afraid of working with others on a project that we may not necessarily know what the final outcome may be. How often is that okay or supported by people in our everyday lives? Example, "Hey, I want to spend 30 hours of my time and your time working on a project that we may not know how to do or where we'll end up. Are you interested?"

How do I know I learned it?
What I have found is that I have learned the most when I am given the most ambiguous, yet thoughtful, directions or prompts for an assignment. The freedom of personalization is paramount in my learning experiences. If I make a mistake, I will learn even more from it because it was my mistake to make along my educational path. It is important to be comfortable working with and working past ambiguity. Isn't life ambiguous? We think we know what to expect or how to do things, but ultimately, "we don't know nothing." What I do know is that I do not know everything and somethings that I don't know, you may know. Some things I know, you may not know. The reciprocal relationship of humanity is essential if this world of ours is going anywhere positive. There is no I in team. And there certainly is no I in world. However there is an I in commUnity. Each of us, as individuals (e.g. "I's") must do our part to create a stronger, viable, and contributing community. And within a community, we must COMMUNE in UNITY.

commune: To be in a state of intimate, heightened sensitivity and receptivity, as with one's surroundings

unity: The state or quality of being one; singleness.

FUTURE OF EDUCATION


EDUCATION IS IMPORTANT

[listen to first 2 minutes)

No comments: